Monday 3 March 2014

There be Treasure in your street...

Last year, or maybe the year before that, my nephew told me about a way to get fit.  Now, I'm not a big fitness fanatic but, I listened politely ready to dismiss and then, when he said "treasure hunting" (NOT his exact words, but this is known as "artistic license").  I was about to dismiss it as silly... but the word he actually said was, "geocaching".

What this means is that all over the world, are little pieces of treasure.  Now there are strict rules to this thing. first you find out where the caches are on a map.  Then you record the co-ordinates in your mobile/tablet and off you go.  There can be clues (like a pirates treasure map) and when you're looking, you must be discrete... as everybody else in your vicinity are "Muggles" and can't be made aware of the treasure.

  You can, if you want, take a piece of the treasure,  BUT you always should replace it with something else.  You then record your name in a log book. (That's in the Cache). You must replace the cache where you've found it, (Without the "muggles" noticing) and then go look for another  OK that's the basics.  My nephew said, that basically you have to get to a cache site, so that involves walking.  Then the cache is not in plain site, so it may mean, bending, crawling through undergrowth...  (though the author of the cache, actually tells you what may be involved and how difficult it may be to find on the website, so you can actually choose which cache you want to find). 

The caches vary, from magnetic, to plastic and the contents may vary as well.  There maybe a small gift, or just a log book.  There maybe something a little special.  Sometimes. a cache may have a clue, leading to another cache...  Some may even be a history of the town or village where the cache have been hidden.

Anyway, my nephew came to visit last year and he asked me if I wanted to geocache.  I was quite excited, as while I'm no Jack Sparrow, it appealed to me, searching for hidden treasure.  So he got out his fancy phone, with GPS and I got on the website.  To my surprise, there was one, just around the corner.  In fact, every morning when I'm having my juice and toast, I was looking at its location.  I was gobsmacked.  There were loads.  I was really surprised, as I thought, little town and there wouldn't be two many people into it.

He said to me, "You pick" and being as we needed to go to the local shop, (and while it wasn't a strenuous walk, it WAS a walk).  It was a magnetic cache (This meant it would be stuck to something magnetic) and he programmed his phone, and we were off.   I'd looked at the map and had a good idea exactly where the thing was.  It was halfway to it's location when we ran into trouble.   The app on his phone, faded out and he swore.  He then realised that his network probably wasn't working around here.  I told him that it wasn't a complete bust, as I knew the street where it was on.

Now the street, was off a main road and had a steady row of traffic, and there was few pedestrians (Sorry, Muggles) and so, it became "Story time".  I turned to my nephew, "Are you sure you lost it round here?" and we turned quickly and started to peruse the hedge rows.  He marched on, and I got it my head, that he was trying to beat me to it, (He was) and I found myself looking a metallic bolts and also wire...  He then looked at me and said very quietly, "I've found it".  It was just like "Carter at the tomb" and he said to me, "Can you see it?"  I stared at where he was standing, and all I could see was.... (not going to tell you as, maybe someone might read this).  We opened the "tomb"...  (okay, it was really a tin sweet box) and inside was a small figure, a jack and a logbook).  He then asked for a pen.  To my horror, I realised we'd not bought one, and then he asked for the small figurine (It was a pot dog curled up asleep) and I'd forgot to pick it up...  BUT as we replaced it... (Making sure there was no muggles around) he asked me if I'd "enjoyed it".  To my surprise, I'd loved it.

If you just want to see what it's all about

http://www.geocaching.com/

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I have somehow missed all of your blogs! this is wonderful :D I had the pleasure of a visit with the daughter of an old friend last year. While she was here she had a lead on such a treasure - which just happened to be located right next to the coffee shop where we were meeting. It was very fun, but I will leave all of the coordinate stuff to the young ones. Hope you get to do it again Kenny.

    ReplyDelete