Monday 3 March 2014

Selly Kitten/Cat... Love Catz part 3 - Final Cat/Part

Selly Cat in Smug Mode
(OK the heading does sound like she's an amputee, and she is in a way).  We inherited, Selly Kitten, as a kitten from my great-niece.  Her cat had kittens and she wanted to get them to new homes.  She was down to the last two and she asked Mum to take her little one in.

Since we'd lost Loki, (despite a more extensive search, better organised, we never saw him again) we thought it'd be good for Push Cat to have a friend.  She was a little monster.  Do you know that Warner Brothers cartoon, with the kitten and the bulldog?  Well, that was how Push Cat and Selly Kitten's relationship was like.   She'd walk all over him and he'd allow her to do so.

Around 14 weeks of her life, Selly Kitten's life changed for the worst.  She used to try and sneak out of the flat.  If I'd gone to take out the trash, she'd come too.  One day, i came home from shopping and I had 3 heavy bags.  I opened the door and left it open while I took the bags up.  She got out.  Now, here's the thing, my next door neighbour had 6 cats, and they were all weird.  They'd come up to you, hissing away and expect to be stroked.  I used to, as a joke, call them the local mafia and when I heard the screams and fighting outside, I realised what had happened, Selly Kitten was no where to be seen.  I was frantic with guilt.

I wandered the street in the pouring rain, calling out her name.  Mum looked out of our front window and when I came home, without her, we didn't know what to do.  I went out again and there was no sign.  The next day, started off the same way as before...  POURING RAIN.  I looked out the window, and I could just make out a shape behind an large ornamental plant pot.  Could it be Selly?  I got my coat on and rushed down the stairs.  I crossed the street and sure enough, looking like a drowned rat, there she was.  I picked her up, she was shaking.  I don't know whether it was with fear, or cold but I had to get her warm.  I placed her in my coat and through her damp fur, I could feel the start of a purr.  I bought her home and mum had the fire on at full blast.  She knew she was home. 

She still tried to get out, but the difference was this time was, when I was closing the door, she'd break her neck to get in before the door was closed.  She's been out several times now, the only problem is, she never returns to our door step.  It's now the right side, but a different door.  She also developed some really strange quirks.  There's a  small part of brickwork between Mum's bedroom and the living room,(What is now mine).  Well she'd wait until she knew someone was going to walk by, and then run up that wall, and you'd be surprised to see a cat staring you in the face... from face height.  That wall could never be decorated, as she'd just do the same.  It looks like a child's measurement chart, except where there would be pencil marks, there are claw marks.

She'd run up curtains, just to stare at you.  She loved my Mum and I only got the affection when it was feeding time, and then she's lay it on really thick.  Selly Kitten loved Push Cat.  They'd lay together and she'd try and get him to play.  He was a devious old soul.  He'd wait until she'd leapt  around for an hour, getting closer and xloser to him, and then he'd strike.  He'd strike with the scratching of the back leg, you could see he'd not got his claws extended and then he'd play.  Five minutes later, after all of this, he'd lay down and relax.  Meanwhile, peaking around the corner of the couch, was Selly Kitten.

Selly never really got over Push's death but what she did do was adopt me.  It's funny, I feel like I'm the Alpha cat.  I'll put down her breakfast, and I'll get mine and then she'll go out into the passage and wait for me start eating.  Then she comes in and finishes hers.  She gets upset of I'm not in bed at a certain time.  I have to groom her and she favours me with the loudest purr.  She then lies down on the bed and looks at me.  When I put my book down, she leaves the bedroom.  I then shut my eyes and go to sleep.  When I wake up in the night, I can feel this warm shape against my back.  It's Selly, and she's sharing.

I'm typing this now and because of health problems, I can't sit on a comfy chair, but Selly Cat, (For she's a Cat now...) leaps behind me and just PURRS...

Her life is good


2 comments:

  1. Selly has been through a lot! I'd love to see her climbing the walls! I'm glad you have such a loyal friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitten rescues make me cry, kitty pranks (climbing walls to be face level) make me laugh, cat purrs make me happy.

    ReplyDelete