Wednesday 26 February 2014

Love Catz - Part 2

Push Cat preparing to dance
Push-Cat

Push-cat was bought because we felt that Loki needed a friend.  It was a weird day, when we went to pick the kitten that was going to be Loki's new pal.  Mum said, "We mustn't get another male" and I agreed.  The woman that was giving away the kitten, let us into her house and she went to fetch the kittens to show us.  The thing we noticed about Push, was that he sooner play with us, he came across fearlessly and stuck his head in Mum's shopping bag.  I was immediately taken by this scrap of fluff.  Mum pointed out that we're "not having another male" and poor Push was picked up, and his private area was looked at. (OK with all these "He"'s  you can guess the result, and yes) Mum pronounced we'd got a really nice female.

We took the "Female" home and Loki hated it.  He'd torment this poor kitten but we were determined to make sure that Loki knew he was the "Alpha" male, so he'd get fed first.  Slowly, ever so slowly, Loki came round, until one fateful day, Push got out.  We were in despair.  I printed out at least 200 flyers and wandered the streets looking.  We knock on doors and it looked hopeless. Then, 48 hours later, Push came home.  He was dragging his back leg, and I could see that it had been torn open and I could see bone.

We rushed him to the local vet and he told us that it looked like someone had slammed his leg in a door.  He advised us that he could either remove the leg, or it would be a long and drawn out job, involving tablets and coming in 3 times a week, to dress his leg.  This would be very expensive.  We honestly couldn't afford either but the vet took pity on us, and told us to take Push to the PDSA.

The PDSA is a charity organisation who looks after sick animals in the UK.  We went and because I'm partially deaf, Push got a new name.  The nurse came out and called out a name.  I was listening intently but missed it, I also missed it the second time, but then, when she called out a third time, I picked it up and so, Push Cat Smith was born.  I loved that cat, I held him down, so that they could look at the leg and treat it.  The nurse had her hand inside his leg, and was wiping the dirt out and all Push did was lick my hand.

We went 3 times a week and the nurse dressed and cleaned the wound, I got licked and we came home, (after I'd gave hime the biggest hug and told him, "Your a brave boy").  This carried on for 4 months and in that time it was a struggle to get the tablets down him.  It was awful, he'd hobble away and hide under the beds.  It got to the last week and the Vet told me it was still "touch or go to whether we could save his leg".  It was going to go to the wire.

The final week, was so tense.  We managed to get his tablets down him, but on that week's second visit, I was told, "It's looking like he's going to lose his leg".  I was quite upset for him and on the Friday, I was really upset, when I took him there for the last time.  I'd been told that I'd be able to pick him up on that day, so I decided that I'd spend a few hours round Nottingham.  I'd phone Mum up for updates, but there were none.  Then there was one, and I couldn't contain my joy.  They'd unwrapped the dressing and there was enough muscle and skin to save his leg.  Mum said "While you're doing that, then you might as well, chop his bollocks off as well, as it'll save an extra visit" (Ever practical my Mum).

He grew older with me and developed his own little quirks.  I'd come in from shopping to find him at the top of the stairs.  He'd raise his front paw, and splay the claws.  It was just like he was giving me a high five.  I'd return the gesture, and he'd go into the kitchen.  He used to wait for me at the top of the street and after a small fuss, he'd shadow me, all the way home.  I'd be on the pavement, he'd be running from front yard to front yard on my left.  I always felt that he was looking out for me.

Meal times were fun, as he'd spin and go up on his back paws.  He'd then, like a prima ballerina, spin, with his front paws raised in the air.  I loved him for it.  I still miss him.

Tomorrow

Selly Kitten

1 comment: