Sunday 16 February 2014

Training -

When we trained we had to have 2 week placements at different skill sets. So, it maybe, "care of the elderly" and you'd be on an elderly ward, (I was placed in a wonderful Nursing Home) "Mental Health" and in a mental health hospital. my placement was "child care" and I was placed in a junior school. I honestly don't know what would be the American equivalent but these kids were around 5.

I was nervous, as am built like a brick shit house and didn't want to scare the kids. I came and had a coffee in the teachers lounge and I was told that I'd be teaching a group of kids while my mentor would teach another in the same classroom. I could devise my lesson plan and I thought that it'd be fun to look at volume. I took my group to one side and there was a trough full of water and containers. I asked them if I filled up a container full of water, would it be then able to fill another up of a different size. This is where it gets really irritating... The boys always got the thing wrong.

At break time I was told to take to the playground and basically make sure everyone played nicely. There was a couple of little girls who were swearing at each other. I went across and told them off. They told me they were playing "Mummies and Babies". I said "surely it's "Mummies and Daddies"?" The reply I'd got was, "Nah, he's buggered off and I've got to raise this little brat on my own..." She did say she loved the child though.

During the last week of my placement. I was told that I'd been adopted by a child. I didn't realise this, as they were so small. The little kid was a problem child and all the other teachers were having problems with him. I know this sounds like I'm going to save the day, but I didn't. He was a smart kid but he would go out and play till late and would only come home if his mum fetched him. It had got to the stage to where he was confined to his bedroom. He'd get out by climbing down the house's drainpipe. It seemed he shared the bedroom with his sister. The next thig mum did was remove all his clothes and confine him to his room, and he'd be out in his sister's dress. I did talk to him about all this, but I don't think it changed anything as I left the placement. I did admire him though and wonder about his gender image... lol

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful blog!! :D And I get to be the first to comment! Congrats on your new accomplishment. I look forward to following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Grandma Shadowcat... It's always nice to know you've done good

      Delete
  2. I have to raise this brat on my own ROFL

    ReplyDelete